In today’s fast-paced world, where energy efficiency and automation are paramount, the role of a Building Management System (BMS Engineer) has gained significant importance. BMS engineers play a crucial role in designing, implementing, and maintaining systems that control various building functions, such as HVAC, lighting, security, and more. If you’re intrigued by the idea of making buildings smarter and more efficient, read on to discover the steps to becoming a BMS engineer in the UAE.
Who is a BMS Engineer?
A BMS engineer, also known as a building automation system engineer, is a professional who designs, installs, commissions and maintains building management systems (BMS). BMS are computer-based systems that control and monitor a building’s environment, including heating, ventilation, air conditioning, lighting, security, and fire systems.
BMS engineers work with a variety of stakeholders, including architects, contractors, building owners, and occupants, to ensure that BMS is installed and operated effectively. They must have a strong understanding of electrical engineering, computer science, and building systems.
BMS engineers are responsible for a wide range of tasks, including:
- Designing BMS systems to meet the specific needs of a building
- Selecting and specifying BMS equipment and software
- Installing and commissioning BMS systems
- Testing and maintaining BMS systems
- Troubleshooting BMS problems
- Providing training to building staff on how to use BMS systems
BMS engineers play a vital role in the efficient and sustainable operation of buildings. They help to reduce energy consumption, improve occupant comfort, and extend the lifespan of building equipment.
Pursue the Right Education
The first step on your journey to becoming a BMS engineer for UAE is obtaining the appropriate education. Most Building Management System (BMS) technician engineers possess a degree in electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, computer engineering, or building services engineering qualification. These fields provide a solid foundation in technical knowledge, which is essential for excelling in the BMS industry.
Here is a list of the top 5 electrical engineering universities in the UAE, in no particular order:
- Khalifa University
- Zayed University
- University of Birmingham Dubai
- American University of Sharjah
- Heriot-Watt University Dubai
Develop Technical Expertise
While pursuing your degree, take the opportunity to deepen your technical knowledge and interpersonal skills. Familiarize yourself with automation systems, control systems engineering, electrical equipment systems, HVAC technologies, and building automation access control. Courses in these areas will give you a comprehensive understanding of the principles behind building management systems.
websites to help you gain technical knowledge and interpersonal skills?
Here is a list of some of the best websites for technical knowledge and interpersonal skills development:
- Free Code Camp
- Mozilla Developer Network (MDN)
- Google Developers
- Microsoft Learn
Interpersonal skills development:
- LinkedIn Learning
- Indeed Career Advice
- The Great Courses Plus
- The Muse
- Verywell Mind
- Psychology Today
- Harvard Business Review
These websites offer a wide range of courses, tutorials, articles, and other resources to help you learn new technical skills, improve your interpersonal skills, and advance your career.
Seek Internships or Entry-Level Positions
Gaining practical project experience is invaluable for aspiring Building Management System (BMS) service engineers. Look for internships or entry-level positions in UAE and job training in companies that specialize in building automation systems or related fields. Working alongside experienced professionals will expose you to real-world exciting projects, challenges, and solutions.
Acquire Industry-Recognized Certifications
To stand out in the competitive job market, consider pursuing industry-recognized certifications. Certifications like Certified Energy Manager (CEM), Certified Automation Professional (CAP), and Certified Building Commissioning Professional (CBCP) will add credibility to your expertise and demonstrate your commitment to excellence.
Stay Updated with the Industry
The field of building automation is constantly evolving, with advancements in technology and industry practices. Attend seminars, workshops, and conferences to stay up-to-date with the latest trends, control panels and developments. Continuous learning is vital for staying relevant and competitive in the BMS service industry.
Develop Programming Skills
As a Building Management System (BMS) service engineer, you’ll often work with programming languages such as C, C++, Python, Java, or ladder logic to configure and troubleshoot BMS systems. Familiarize yourself with these languages to enhance your problem-solving abilities and to efficiently manage building automation systems.
Build a Professional Network
Networking is crucial for career growth in any field. Attend industry events, join professional associations job training related to building management systems, and connect with experienced BMS technician engineers. Building a strong network will open doors to new opportunities and valuable insights into the industry.
Tailor Your Resume and Showcase Experience
When applying for BMS technician engineer positions, tailor your resume to highlight relevant experience, coursework, certifications, and programming skills. Emphasize any hands-on experience gained through internships or Monitoring projects related to building automation engineering or control systems engineering.
BMS Engineer Value in UAE?
BMS engineers are highly valued in the UAE, as the country is home to many large and complex buildings that require sophisticated building management systems (BMS) to operate efficiently. BMS engineers play a vital role in designing, installing, commissioning, and maintaining these systems.
Here are some of the specific benefits of being a BMS engineer in the UAE:
- High demand for qualified professionals
- Competitive salaries and benefits
- Opportunity to work on challenging and innovative projects
- Chance to contribute to the development of the UAE’s infrastructure
- Multicultural and cosmopolitan work environment
Overall, the value of a BMS engineer in the UAE is high. BMS engineers are in high demand, they earn competitive salaries and benefits, and they have the opportunity to work on challenging and innovative projects.
Here are some specific examples of the value that BMS engineers can provide in the UAE:
- BMS engineers can help to reduce energy consumption and costs in buildings.
- BMS engineers can improve indoor air quality and occupant comfort.
- BMS engineers can help to extend the lifespan of building equipment and infrastructure.
- BMS engineers can help to improve security and safety in buildings.
Overall, BMS engineers play a vital role in the efficient and sustainable operation of buildings in the UAE.
BMS Engineer Salary range in UAE?
The salary range for a BMS engineer in the UAE is AED 3,500 to AED 15,000 per month, with an average monthly salary of AED 6,742 for employees with 2 years to 18 years of experience.
Factors that can affect your salary as a BMS engineer in the UAE include:
- Experience: BMS engineers with more experience tend to earn higher salaries.
- Education: BMS engineers with a bachelor’s degree in engineering or a related field typically earn more than those with less education.
- Skills: BMS engineers with specialized skills and certifications, such as experience with specific BMS platforms or programming languages, may be able to command higher salaries.
- Location: BMS engineers working in major cities such as Dubai and Abu Dhabi tend to earn more than those working in smaller cities or rural areas.
- Company size: BMS engineers working for large companies with complex building management systems tend to earn more than those working for smaller companies with less complex systems.
Here is a breakdown of the average salary for BMS engineers in the UAE by experience level:
- Entry-level (0-2 years of experience): AED 3,500-5,000 per month
- Mid-level (3-5 years of experience): AED 5,000-7,000 per month
- Senior-level (5+ years of experience): AED 7,000-15,000 per month
Please note that these are just averages, and your actual salary may vary depending on the factors mentioned above.
Becoming a Building Management System engineer or a building automation engineer is a great way to get your foot in the door of this exciting field. It is a rewarding journey for those passionate about improving building efficiency and sustainability.
By following these steps – acquiring the right education, gaining practical experience and technical knowledge, environmental impact, obtaining certifications, and staying updated with industry trends – you can position yourself for a successful and fulfilling career as a BMS technician service engineer. Embrace continuous learning and adaptability, as the BMS industry continues to evolve with technology, offering exciting opportunities for innovative professionals like you.